First Post

Wondered why I didn't get caught up in all the Michael Jackson hoopla since his death on June 25th.

After all, I was a musician in my youth and love music today just as much as I did back then. I was a fan of Michael Jackson's music of the 80's - I remember having cassette tapes of Thriller & Bad in my car with the bass settings on maximum, drowning out the protests of my two children who were stuck in the back seats with car speakers vibrating just inches from their ears.

Of all the celebrity deaths in the past few weeks, none touched me less than his. Why? I finally figured out while I was a fan of his music, I was not a fan of his notoriety and was simply turned off. He achieved the highest level of fame and popularity as a recording artist and entertainer in modern times - I give him that respect.

The deaths of Ed McMahon, sidekick to the great Johnny Carson; Farrah Fawcett, the face and body which covered some of my bedroom wall; Karl Malden, from the Streets of San Francisco (with Michael Douglas); and Walter Cronkite, the face and voice of U.S. TV news my parents watched Monday to Friday - they shaped and impacted my evolution from boy to manhood.

And even though they had been outside my life in recent years, they will be missed....



0 comments:

Post a Comment